Monday, November 22, 2010

Jerramungup on way to Bremer Bay

THE WORKING WIFE

"You're lucky you don't have to work"
The City wife said to me
Just what do you do all day?
You're so lucky to be free

I sometimes wonder to myself
Just what I really do
There seems to be so many jobs
And I seem to do so few

Could you spare a minute dear
I can't manage on my own
Two hours later I return
To use the telephone

Would you go to town love,
and pick me up a part?
Can you come & give me a tow?
That damed old truck won't start

Could you drive the tractor please?
While I go home for seed
And bring me down my dinner love
And all the fuel I need

And will you help to pick the stumps
For just a week or two?
I suppose the more we pick this time
Leaves less next year to do

Up the sheep yard next, he cries
Amid the dust & heat
Trying to get some sense out of
Those stupid things called sheep

There's tailing & there's mulesing
Could you shedhand too?
There's dipping & there's drenching
So many jobs to do

And somewhere in between all this
There's animals to be fed
And there's housework to be done
Before I go to bed

And to the city wife who works I say
You're still one step above
You get paid for the job you do
I do mine for love!



No comments:

Post a Comment